Skip to main content

Sign Permits

The Town of Knightdale regulates size and placement of signs in both the Town limits and the Town's Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). All signs must comply with Knightdale's Unified Development Ordinance requirements, specifically Chapter 8. Regulations vary depending on the zoning district and type of sign (wall, monument, etc.). 

Prior to installing any signage, you must submit a Sign Permit for review and approval. The Town of Knightdale issues two types of sign permits: permanent and temporary. Requirements for both are below. 

Unless specifically exempted under UDO Chapter 8.4, all proposed permanent signage requires a zoning compliance sign permit. Additionally, some signs also require a commercial building permit for installation. Signs may not be installed until the zoning/building permit has been approved and issued.


Start the sign approval process by following these steps:

  1. Submit via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Sign Permit (Zoning Review) application
    • Upload a proof or rendering of the sign showing color, materials, dimensions
    • For wall signs, include building elevations showing facade measurements (overall height and width) and the proposed signage imposed on the facade (must be to scale)
    • For monument signs, include a site/plot plan identifying the sign location
  2. Pay the $75 review fee

Once submitted, the sign will be reviewed to ensure it meets the Town's sign ordinance (UDO Ch. 8).


Building Permit Requirements:

After the zoning review has been approved, Knightdale staff will create the corresponding building permit in the Wake County Permit Portal (if required). If a building permit is required, all sign contractors/installers must have an active Permit Portal account. Please note that nonilluminated wall signs and ground signs less than 6 ft. in height above finished grade do not require building permits. However, an electrical trade permit may still be required. Please coordinate with the contact listed above to determine if your sign requires a building permit. 

*Please do not submit your sign building permit to the Wake County Permit Portal unless staff has authorized you to do so.*

You may apply for a temporary banner permit for special events, grand openings, or promotions. Banners shall be permitted for no more than four (4) events per calendar year with a maximum time period for each event of 14 calendar days. This is applicable to both commercial and non-profit community events.


To apply for a temporary banner permit, submit your request via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Temporary Banner Permit application type.

The following types of signage and lighting are prohibited in Knightdale. Please reference UDO Ch. 8.8 for a full list of prohibited signs and devices.

  • Signs in the right-of-way
  • Off-premise or off-site signage
  • Windblown or lighter-than-air signs (sun blades, flutter flags, streamers, etc.)
  • Animated signs
  • Electronic message boards
  • Outline lighting (generally around facades and windows)


Apply for a Sign Permit through the Town's online portal: