Skip to main content

Sedimentation and Erosion Control

The Town of Knightdale administers its own erosion and sedimentation control program that aims to prevent sediment from leaving active construction projects and polluting our local waterways. 

We accomplish this by enforcing all state and local erosion control regulations and by working with developers, builders, and landowners within the Town's corporate limits. 

Residential Lot Erosion Control 

All builders and developers disturbing land in a subdivision (common plan of development) are required to have a land disturbance permit, even if the disturbance is less than 1 acre.

Builders outside a subdivision shall obtain a permit if disturbance is greater than 1 acre.  

More information regarding individual lot ESC submittals can be found here

Sediment and Erosion Control Standard Details 

The Town of Knightdale utilizes Wake County and the NC Department of Environmental Quality standard drawings that illustrate the minimum acceptable standards for land development, disturbing or erosion control activities authorized under development regulations of the Town of Knightdale; however, these standards shall not supersede more restrictive prudent design requirements or good engineering practices as applied to specific situation on a case-by-case basis. 

Click here for all Sediment Control Standard Details.

Town of Knightdale Unified Development Ordinance 

Our local erosion control regulations can be found in Chapter 96 of the Code of Ordinances. 

The Town of Knightdale is delegated by the State of NC to operate a local erosion control program. The overall goal of the Sedimentation Pollution Control Act (SPCA) and the NC Administrative Code (Code) Title 15 Chapter 4, is to prevent visible sedimentation into lakes, streams, natural watercourses, and onto adjoining properties. The SPCA outlines the regulatory requirements and gives authority to the Sedimentation Control Commission (SCC) and the Land Quality Section (LQS). The Code provides the administrative overview of how the SCC and LQS enforce the SPCA.

Sedimentation Pollution Control Act of 1973

Title 15A Chapter 4: Sediment Control

To report sediment problems to the State, contact the appropriate DEQ - DEMLR - Regional Office that serves your area or use the Division of Energy, Mineral and Land Resources' toll-free hotline, 1-866-STOPMUD.