Skip to main content

Building Permits

All residential and commercial building permits are submitted online via the Wake County Permit Portal.

The Town of Knightdale uses Wake County's Portal to process permits; however, all permits are reviewed, invoiced, and issued by Town of Knightdale Development Services staff.

Before a permit is released, all building and trade contractors will need to create a Permit Portal account and be linked to the permit.

submit a building permit


Permit Payment

Permit fees can be paid via credit card through the Permit Portal, or by check payable to Wake County. We cannot accept credit card payments in-person or via the telephone.

Wake County provides site and building plan submittal requirement guides for various types of permits (single family home, deck, solar panels, swimming pool, etc.). A site plan, drawn to scale, is required for all projects that change the footprint of an existing structure or that propose a new structure. 

Fire permits are NOT submitted via the Permit Portal. The following permits should be submitted directly to the Knightdale Fire Department. Shop drawings may be emailed to  Call 919-217-2292 with any questions.

  • Fire alarms
  • Sprinkler systems
  • Hoods
  • Blasting
  • Pyrotechnics/fireworks
  • Underground storage tank removal
  • Tents 

If you need to add or remove contractors from a permit after it has been submitted, you must submit the required Change Contractor form. Documents can be emailed it to the Knightdale Planning Technician. Please notify the Knightdale Planning Technician of any documents added to the Portal. 

If you are changing the project's scope of work or revising the approved building or site plan, you must submit the required Permit Amendment form along with revised plans. Documents can be emailed it to the Knightdale Planning Technician. Please notify the Knightdale Planning Technician of any documents added to the Portal. 

If applying for a building permit for a property on a well and/or septic system, Wake County Environmental Services will review and approve the proposal. If you have questions specific to a well or septic system, please contact Wake County Environmental Services.

You will first need to set up an account using an email address and password. After verifying your email address, you will be able to submit an application, obtain plan review comments, status updates, pay permit fees, and schedule inspections through the portal system.

If you need additional help, check out these User Guides and Tutorials.


Additional Information: