Do you have an interest in law enforcement, or have you ever wondered what it is like to police in Knightdale? Then come join us in one of our annual sessions of the Citizens Police Academy.
Our Citizens Police Academy is a collaborative effort between local residents, business owners and police officers that will help identify problems, generate community-oriented solutions and build the kind of trust critical to creating a safe and pleasant community.
Participants in the Citizens Police Academy can expect to be involved in a mixture of lectures, demonstrations and practical exercises. Topics and academy experiences include:
- An Overview of the Criminal Justice System
- Arrest, Search, and Seizure
- Police Use of Force
- Gang Issues
- Drug and Alcohol Enforcement
- Building Searches
- Traffic Enforcement and Vehicle Stops
- Community Policing and Crime Prevention
- Interaction with Department Members
- Hands-on Practical Exercises
- Interactive Group Discussions
- Police Ride Along Opportunities
How to Apply
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. High school students under the age of 18 may attend if the appropriate parental waivers are provided. Preference will be given to residents of Knightdale, local business owners and civic group members, but all Eastern Wake community members are encouraged to apply. Participants must have no criminal history of felonies or serious misdemeanors.
Graduates of the academy are honored at a special ceremony and receive a certificate of completion for their participation.