Skip to main content

Trade Permits

Trade permits provide for the permitting and inspection of projects with single and multiple trades when a building permit is not required. Trade permits may be issued for electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or refrigeration work, any combination of the those trades, or for all four trades.

Trade Permits are submitted online via the Wake County Permit Portal. The Town of Knightdale uses Wake County's Portal to process permits; however, all trade permits are reviewed, invoiced, and issued by Town of Knightdale Development Services staff.



Permit Payment

Permit fees can be paid via credit card through the Permit Portal, or by check payable to Wake County. We cannot accept credit card payments in-person or via the telephone.

  1. Submit an application in the Wake County Permit Portal
    • List all trade contractors under "Contacts" in the application
    • Provide a complete description of the work to be performed 
    • For mechanical and water heater installations and change-outs, include: type of appliance, if it's gas or electric, location of the appliance, and areas the appliance will serve.
  2. Permit will be processed and reviewed by Knightdale staff. As required, plans will be assigned for review with Wake County Plan Reviewers.
  3. Fees will be invoiced, which are paid via the Permit Portal
  4. Permit will be issued, and all applicable plans or permit cards will be available in the "Attachments" section of the Permit Portal
  5. Schedule all required inspections via the Permit Portal.

You will first need to set up an account using an email address and password. After verifying your email address, you will be able to submit an application, obtain status updates, pay permit fees, and schedule inspections through the portal system.

If you need additional help, check out these User Guides and Tutorials.