Frequently Asked Questions

When are Town Hall's operating hours?

Town Hall is open weekdays from 8:00am-5:00pm, except on  . If you'd like to call before you visit, give us a call at 919-217-2212.

What types of payment methods are accepted?

Cash, checks, money orders, and credit cards are accepted for all other types of payments due to the Town of Knightdale. These payments are typically for citations, licenses, registration for Parks & Recreation programs, nuisance abatement charges, zoning fees, and inspection fees.

Where can I pay my water/sewer/garbage bill?

Utility bills can be paid at Town Hall or any other location that accepts City of Raleigh bills. Customers may also pay online or over the phone with a Visa or MasterCard by calling 888-905-3169.

Please contact the City of Raleigh at (919) 996-3245 for additional payment locations.


What types of payment methods are accepted for my Wake County tax bill?

As a payment center for Wake County, the Town accepts only cash or checks for tax bills. Customers may also pay online or by phone with a Visa or MasterCard. If you'd prefer to pay by phone, please call (919) 856-5400.

Where is the nearest DMV office?

There are several locations within minutes of Knightdale that provide DMV services, including Raleigh, Wendell and Zebulon.

Drivers License Services

  • 2431 Spring Forest Road, Unit 101, Raleigh (map, directions). 919-855-6877
    (Open 8am-6pm weekdays and 8am-Noon on Saturdays)
  • 2851 Wendell Blvd., Wendell (map, directions). 919-365-9516 
    (Open 8am-5pm weekdays)

License Plates

  • 1100 New Bern Ave., Raleigh (map, directions). 919-715-7000
    (Open 8am-5pm weekdays)
  • 520 W Gannon Ave., Zebulon (map,directions). 919-404-8008
    (Open 9am-5pm weekdays)

For more information about DMV services, visit

Where do I obtain a business license?

The NC General Assembly no longer gives authority for local governments to levy a privilege license tax on businesses, so businesses operating within Knightdale are no longer required to renew or obtain a privilege license. The new law took effect July 1st, 2015 after lawmakers passed S.L. 2014-3/House Bill 1050.

The NC Department of Commerce has details on state licenses, permits and regulatory requirements (North Carolina has no single business license covering all requirements).

Where does my property tax go, and who assesses my property?

The Wake County Revenue Department is responsible for listing, appraising and assessing all real estate, personal property and registered motor vehicles within Wake County, its 14 municipalities and related service districts. Wake County is also charged with the duty of collecting all current and delinquent taxes on this property. In addition to property tax, the department oversees the billing and collection of the Prepared Food & Beverage Tax, Rental Vehicle Tax, Room Occupancy Tax, Special Assessments, and various licensing and permits.