One of the most important ways Knightdale staff carry out the vision of Knightdale's Comprehensive Plan, Water Allocation Policy and Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) is through reviews of proposed residential and non-residential developments.
Planners coordinate the timely review of development applications to ensure that proposed development meets the requirements and expectations of the Town. The purpose of the UDO is to ensure projects are accountable for their impact on the environment, for the quality of its design, compatibility with neighbors, and to ensure availability of public facilities (water, sewer and transportation). Staff work with developers and relevant state and county agencies to address issues of concern prior to approving plans.
Development Services staff assist with the following development and planning related processes:
- Site Plans
- Special Use Permits
- Zoning Map Amendments
- Planned Unit Developments
- Conditional Districts
- Zoning Text Amendments
- Administrative Appeals
- Plat Review
- Exempt, Recombination, ROW Dedication, Easements, Boundary Survey
- Family Subdivision
- Minor Subdivision
- Major Subdivision
Development projects begin with a pre-application conference between the applicant and staff. Please reach out to the staff member listed to discuss a proposed project.
Quick Links & Resources
- Comprehensive Plan: This document guides future growth and development in Knightdale.
- Unified Development Ordinance: Contains zoning and subdivision regulations for Knightdale. See Chapters 15 & 16 for detailed information on various development processes and development plan requirements.
- Water Allocation Policy: New development proposals requesting water capacity must demonstrate their qualifications and how they meet the Town's WAP.
- 2020 Meeting and Submittal Schedule: Contains deadlines pertaining to Zoning Map Amendments, Zoning Text Amendments, Conditional Districts, Special Use Permits, Variances, and Appeals
- The City of Raleigh Public Utilities Department reviews, inspects, and issues acceptance of public water and sewer infrastructure installed as part of development projects in Knightdale.