Knightdale Veterans Memorial Application
Knightdale Veterans Memorial Recognition Overview
The Knightdale Veterans Memorial Plaza was dedicated on Sunday, November 11, 2018. It is centrally located in the heart of Knightdale Station Park. The purpose of the Veterans Memorial Plaza is to recognize deceased veterans of the greater Knightdale community who honorably served in the United States Armed Forces.
- The Veteran must have resided in the greater Knightdale area for a portion of their life or made contributions to Knightdale during their lifetime.
- The Veteran must have been honorably separated or discharged from service. A copy of the veteran’s DD214 Form, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty must be provided for verification. For assistance obtaining a DD214 Form, contact the National Archives: https://www.archives.gov/ or 1-866-272-6272
- Veterans of all branches of service are eligible to be recognized.
- Veterans that were Killed in Action shall have their names written in Gold in accordance with the Gold Star Memorial requirements.
- Request for placement of names must be made by application to a designated committee of the Town and shall be approved if it meets the noted criteria.
- The Town shall be responsible for arranging for new engravings, which should occur no more than twice per year.
Knightdale Veterans Memorial Advisory Board
The Knightdale Veterans Memorial Advisory Board is responsible for identifying and verifying candidates for recognition on the memorial. The Board will meet periodically throughout the year to coordinate application distribution and to review submissions. The Board will make recommendations to the Town Council for review and final consideration of approval for permanent inscription on the Knightdale Veterans Memorial.
Annual Recognition Ceremony
The Town of Knightdale will unveil inscribed veterans annually on Memorial Day. The Memorial Day Ceremony will be held in cooperation with the Two Green Thumbs Garden Club.