The Town of Knightdale is hosting public sessions and has been reaching out to ensure that Town of Knightdale stakeholders have a say in the UDO process and updates. Thank you for checking out the new UDO Update website, with all the information you may need on the update.
Knightdale Veterans Memorial
The Knightdale Veterans Memorial was dedicated on Veterans Day, Sunday, November 11th, 2018 at 1:00 PM. Located in the heart of Knightdale Station Park at 810 North First Avenue, the Veterans Memorial is home to the Knightdale Blue Star and Gold Star Memorials, honoring those who have served and died for our country and their families.
The Knightdale Veterans Memorial would not be possible without the support of the Knightdale Two Green Thumbs Garden Club. They graciously agreed to relocate the current Blue Star Memorial from the corner of Main St. and 1st Avenue in Downtown to its new home at the Knightdale Veterans Memorial. The Two Green Thumbs also agreed to apply and received Gold Star Status for the new Veterans Memorial allowing Knightdale to have the only memorial bearing Gold Star and Blue Star status in North Carolina.
The Memorial will honor Veterans who have passed that are connected to the Town of Knightdale through adding the names of those Veterans on the memorial itself. If you have a Veteran in your family who you would like to memorialize at the Knightdale Veterans Memorial, please submit your application linked at the bottom of this page to be reviewed by the Knightdale Veterans Memorial Recognition Committee.
- The Veteran must have resided in the greater Knightdale area for a significant portion of their life or made significant contributions to Knightdale during their lifetime.
- The Veteran must have been honorably separated or discharged from service.
A copy of the veteran’s DD214 Form, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty must be provided for verification. For assistance obtaining a DD214 Form, contact the National Archives: https://www.archives.gov/ or 1-866-272-6272
- Veterans of all branches of service are eligible to be recognized.
- Veterans that were Killed in Action shall have their names written in Gold in accordance with the Gold Star Memorial requirements.
- Request for placement of names must be made by application to a designated committee of the Town and shall be approved if it meets the noted criteria.
- The Town shall be responsible for arranging for new engravings, which should occur no more than twice per year.
The Knightdale Veterans Memorial Recognition Committee is a standing committee, appointed annually by the Town Council.
The purpose of the Committee is to identify and verify candidates for recognition on the memorial. The Committee will meet periodically throughout the year to coordinate application distribution and to review submissions. The Committee will make recommendations to the Town Council for review and final consideration of approval for permanent inscription on the Knightdale Veterans Memorial.
Annual Recognition Ceremony
The Town of Knightdale will unveil the inscribed veterans annually on Memorial Day. The Memorial Day Ceremony will be held in cooperation with the Two Green Thumbs Garden Club.
To apply, please fill out the Knightdale Veterans Memorial Recognition Application.
**Application deadline for the 2020 Memorial Day Ceremony will be November, 29, 2019**