The Town of Knightdale recently received a John Rex Endowment Grant to make improvements on our roadways and sidewalks. These improvements are meant to assure the safety of pedestrians when accessing the Knightdale Farmer's Market via the local greenways. "The John Rex Endowment supports an environment where children and families in greater Wake County live healthy lives. Guided by the belief that all children should reach their full potential, the John Rex Endowment works with the community to support the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of children."
The improvements that include John Rex Endowment funding are:
- Signage on Mingo Creek Greenway, streets, and sidewalks pointing residents and providing the distance to Knightdale Station Park, and the Knightdale Farmer's Market.
- A pedestrian push-button signal and crosswalk at Smithfield and McKnight Roads for safe crossing.
- One stamped concrete decorative crosswalk at Sycamore and 1st Avenue including rectangle rapid flashing beacons, as well as 2 stamped concrete speed calming devices to establish pedestrian zones at 1st Avenue and Poplar, and 1st Avenue and Knightdale Station Run. All three will mirror the look of the crosswalks at 1st Avenue and Main Street Downtown.
- Yield To Pedestrian signage in and around Knightdale Station Park
- Establishing Safe Routes to School crosswalks at Hodge Road Elementary and the Mingo Creek Neighborhood to ensure safe access to local students, and repainting an existing crosswalk into an artistic crosswalk.
To begin these projects we are planning the closure of a part of 1st Avenue on Tuesday, January 16th (see map for areas affected). The closure is to install the crosswalk and speed calming device on 1st Avenue. Detours are provided to ensure passage from one side of the closure to the other.
The closure will affect both directions of traffic flow, and Phase 1 should last approximately 10 days. Public Works will be installing signage to demarcate the road closure as well as the detour routes Monday January 15th.
Thank you for your patience as we continue to improve Knightdale!