Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

All building and trade permits are submitted online via the Wake County Permit Portal. You will first need to set up an account using an email address and password. After verifying your email address, you will be able to submit an application, obtain status updates, pay permit fees, and schedule inspections through the portal system. Please see the Permits and Inspections page for more information. 

Zoning and land use applications are submitted via the Electronic Plan Review Portal. Please visit the Development Process page for additional information.  

Approved plans needing Town signatures (Mylars, final plats, Construction Drawings, etc.) can be dropped off at the Development Services Department, located on the second floor of Town Hall, at 950 Steeple Square Court. Town Hall is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Development Services allows for submittals and pick ups during these times. 

Per the Knightdale Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), a sweepstakes center is permitted in the Manufacturing and Industrial (MI) zoning district if Town Council grants a Special Use Permit and if all the UDO requirements are met, including the additional use standards for sweepstake centers found in UDO Chapter 5. For a Special Use Permit to be considered before Town Council, a master plan application would have to be submitted, application fee paid and master plan submitted demonstrating compliance with all ordinance requirements. More information about the Special Use Permit process may be found in UDO Section 12.2.F.4 and Master Plan information may be found in UDO Section 12.3.F. However, if you decide to move forward, a sketch plan will be required to be submitted and reviewed prior to the Special Use Permit and Master Plan being submitted.

The Special Use Permit and Master Plan must be submitted in accordance with the current Submittal Schedule and the fees will be charged in accordance with the development fee schedule. This fee schedule does not include any building permit fees, if required. 

If you are interested in pursuing opening a Sweepstakes Center, please reach out to a Planner listed in the Staff contact tab. 

The Town will need to perform a Zoning Final/Certificate of Occupancy (CO) inspection after you have received all building and trade finals from Wake County Inspections. Once Wake County has signed off on building and trade finals, schedule a "zoning final" via the Wake County Permit Portal. Please note a Certificate of Occupancy inspection is different than a Building Final. Once issued, the CO will be available in the Permit Portal in the "Attachments" section.

You may be able to obtain a copy of a previously issued Certificate of Occupancy through the Wake County Permit Portal. Or you can contact the Planning Technician listed in the Staff contact tab. 

Town of Knightdale Development Services staff perform the following inspections:

  • Zoning site/setback (Development Services)
  • Certificate of Occupancy (Development Services)

These inspections are scheduled via the Wake County Permit Portal. The Town's Planner/Code Enforcement Officer performs these inspections and can be reached at 919-217-2248.

Wake County Department of Planning, Development, and Inspections performs the following inspections on behalf of the Town:

  • electrical, plumbing, and mechanical inspections
  • structural and building inspections

You may schedule a building or mechanical/trade inspection through the Permit Portal or call 919-856-6222 for further assistance. 

See the Permits and Inspections page for additional information.

The Town of Knightdale does not require a permit to install a fence; however, Section 7.6 of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regulates materials and heights. Fences may not be located in any public easements (storm drainage, sewer, etc.) or sight distance triangles, and must be located on your property. If a fence is being constructed on a lot with floodplain, a floodplain development permit is required. If you have questions about the placement of a fence or concerns with easements, please call 919-217-2250. Question regarding materials and height can be answered by calling 919-217-2244.

The Town of Knightdale does not require a permit to add and/or widen a single family residential driveway. However, there are several important regulations in the Town of Knightdale Unified Development Ordinance and the Town of Knightdale Standard Specifications and Details Manual that apply to driveways.

  • Only 1 driveway connection is permitted for single family residential lots that are less than 100' in width at the right-of-way. A maximum of 2 driveway connections are permitted for single family residential lots over 100' in width at the right-of-way.
  • Driveways must be no less than 12' wide and no more than 18' wide at the right-of-way.
  • Driveways must be set back at least 3.5' from the side property lines.
  • Driveways must be located as nearly perpendicular to the street right-of-way as possible.
  • Depending upon the location of the driveway on the site, driveway depth requirements may also be required.

If a driveway is being added to a NC DOT street, staff recommends contacting DOT to confirm if a driveway permit is required.

If you are interested in expanding an existing driveway or adding a second driveway access, please contact the Planner/Code Enforcement Officer listed in the Staff contact tab. 

Wake County iMAPS is a great resource for property information. Enter your street address under Search in the top right hand side of the page. Once the property is found, click on the Layers button on the right hand side of the screen. Turn various layers on or off depending on the information you are seeking. Jurisdictions and Zoning are very helpful layers. If you need help using iMAPS, click here

There are different types of businesses in North Carolina depending on the business structure. Companies that are operating as limited liability corporations, limited liability partnerships and other incorporated business, must file an “Articles of Incorporation” with the North Carolina Secretary of State’s office. Sole proprietorships and basic partnerships that are filing a “Doing Business As” (DBA) must file their unique business name with the Wake County Register of Deeds.

Wake County Environmental Services is the authority over all well and septic systems, even within Knightdale's planning jurisdiction. Call 919-856-7400 or visit their website for additional information and guidance.