Sign Permits

The Town of Knightdale regulates size and placement of signs in both the Town limits and the Town's Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). All signs must comply with Knightdale's Unified Development Ordinance requirements, specifically Chapter 12. Regulations vary depending on the zoning district and type of sign (wall, monument, etc.). 

Prior to installing any signage, you must submit a Sign Permit for review and approval. The Town of Knightdale issues two types of sign permits: permanent and temporary. Requirements for both are below. 


Unless specifically exempted under UDO Chapter 12.4, all proposed permanent signage requires a zoning compliance sign permit. Additionally, most signs also require a commercial building permit for installation.

The first step for a sign permit is to submit for a Sign Permit Zoning Review by following these steps:

  • Submit via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Sign Permit application
  • Upload a proof or rendering of the sign showing color, materials, dimensions
  • For wall signs, include building elevations showing facade measurements (overall height and width) and the proposed signage imposed on the facade (must be to scale)
  • For monument signs, include a site/plot plan identifying the sign location
  • Pay the $75 review fee

Once submitted, the sign will be reviewed to ensure it meets the Town's sign ordinance. After the zoning review has been approved, the building permit required for installation will be created within the Wake County Permit Portal. Signs may not be installed until the building permit has been approved and issued. 

 *Please do NOT submit your sign building permit to the Wake County Permit Portal*


You may apply for a temporary banner permit for special events or grand openings. Banners shall be permitted for no more than four (4) events per calendar year with a maximum time period for each event of 14 calendar days. This is applicable to both commercial and non-profit community events.

Please note that the all signs are prohibited from being placed in the public right-of-way. 

Don't forget to reference Knightdale's prohibited signs ordinance and permitted signs that do not require a permit!

To apply for a temporary banner permit, submit your request via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Temporary Banner Permit application type.


Apply for a Sign Permit through the Town's online portal: