The Town of Knightdale regulates size and placement of signs in both the Town limits and the Town's Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). All signs must comply with Knightdale's Unified Development Ordinance requirements, specifically Chapter 8. Regulations vary depending on the zoning district and type of sign (wall, monument, etc.).
Prior to installing any signage, you must submit a Sign Permit for review and approval. The Town of Knightdale issues two types of sign permits: permanent and temporary. Requirements for both are below.
Unless specifically exempt under UDO Chapter 8.4, all proposed permanent signage requires a zoning compliance sign permit. Additionally, some signs also require a commercial building permit for installation.
The first step for a sign permit is to submit for a Sign Permit Zoning Review by following these instructions:
- Submit via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Sign Permit application
- Upload a proof or rendering of the sign showing color, materials, dimensions
- For wall signs, include building elevations showing facade measurements (overall height and width) and the proposed signage imposed on the facade (must be to scale)
- For monument signs, include a site/plot plan identifying the sign location
- Pay the $75 review fee
Once submitted, the sign will be reviewed to ensure it meets the Town's sign ordinance (UDO Ch. 8).
Nonilluminated wall signs and ground signs less than 6 ft. in height above finished grade do not require building permits. However, an electrical trade permit may still be required. Please coordinate with the contact listed above to determine if your sign requires a building permit.
Signs may not be installed until the zoning/building permit has been approved and issued.
*Please do NOT submit your sign building permit to the Wake County Permit Portal*
You may apply for a temporary banner permit for special events or grand openings. Banners shall be permitted for no more than four (4) events per calendar year with a maximum time period for each event of 14 calendar days. This is applicable to both commercial and non-profit community events.
To apply for a temporary banner permit, submit your request via the Electronic Plan Review Portal under the Temporary Banner Permit application type.
The following are not permitted in Knightdale. Please see UDO Section 8.8 for a full list of prohibited signs.
- Signs in the public right-of-way
- Windblown or light-than-air signs (streamers, flutter flags, sun blades, etc.)
- Animated signs and electronic message boards
Apply for a Sign Permit through the Town's online portal: