New Business Info

Thank you for choosing the Town of Knightdale as the home for your new business. The Development Services Department is able to assist you throughout the entire process, whether you are relocating, expanding or starting a new business! 

All new businesses must receive a Zoning Compliance Permit before operating in either Knightdale Town Limits or ETJ. This permit review process identifies what businesses are in the community and confirms the space you are leasing is compatible with your proposed land/business use (zoning district, parking, additional standards, etc.). A zoning compliance permit should be applied for prior to signing a lease to confirm you are in compliance. 

Please be aware that additional federal, state and local permits and licenses may also be required depending on the nature of your new business. 


For all business owners who wish to lease a space in an already developed building, there are several steps that need to occur before you open your doors for business. 

  • Determine if your business is allowed in your desired location.  Excellent resources to begin your research are Wake County iMAPs  and the Town of Knightdale Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).  To determine if your business would be permitted at the desired location, use iMAPs to determine the zoning of the property and then cross reference the zoning with the UDO's Use Matrix in Section 3.1(C).
  • Once you have determined that the use is permitted, submit a Zoning Compliance Permit application to the Town of Knightdale Development Services Department for review and approval.
  • Depending on the use, modifications to the tenant space may be required and you would need to apply for a building permit.  If you desire to make changes to the exterior of the site, contact the Development Services Department to discuss those modifications and determine what approval process is required.
  • If your business would like either an exterior wall sign or a monument sign, please visit the Sign Permit page for additional information on the permitting process and applicable ordinances.

If a home occupation is the best option for you at this time, it is necessary to determine whether or not your particular use is permitted as a home occupation. Prior to operating a small, accessory business from your home, please contact the Town of Knightdale Development Services Department to determine if a home occupation is permissible.

  • If permitted, your home occupation will be subject to Unified Development Ordinance Additional Standards.
  • Check with the property owner, property manager or Homeowners' Association (HOA) to determine if they will allow you to operate a home occupation from your residence.
  • Check to see if your proposed home occupation is regulated by other local, state or federal agencies as necessary, in addition to the Town of Knightdale.
  • Submit a Zoning Compliance Permit application to the Town of Knightdale Development Services Department for review and approval and demonstrate how the use complies with required additional standards

If you're interested in constructing a new building for your business, additional steps are required. The Town's ordinance contains requirements for new development, including parking, landscaping, lighting, architectural design, road improvements, or other site improvements.

Please reach out to one of the Senior Planners at 919-217-2245 or 919-217-2243 for additional information.

Apply for a Zoning Compliance Permit through the Town's online portal: