Advisory Boards and Committees
The Town of Knightdale Citizen Advisory Board and Committee Chart provides a relational overview of the four (4) Citizen Advisory Boards and two (2) Committees that assist the Town Council in the decision-making process.
CITIZEN ADVISORY BOARDS
Citizen Advisory Boards are an integral part of local government administration. Anyone from the public may apply to serve on these boards. They are an effective manner for the elected officials to engage citizens in the democratic process. Their primary purpose is to provide judicious advice to the Town Council from the citizens' perspective. Advisory Boards are able to devote significant time to specific areas of local government where the Town Council is typically unable. These Boards thoroughly discuss, analyze and evaluate specific issues facing Knightdale. Afterwards, they formulate and forward, well-developed recommendations to the Town Council for consideration of adoption. In short, citizen participation on Advisory Boards is crucial to ensuring that needs of our community are being fully met.
Two Council Members are assigned to serve on each Advisory Board in an ex-officio (non-voting) capacity. The role of these elected officials is participate in discussions and provide insight into the Town Council's view on topics.
Please follow these simple steps to apply for a Citizen Advisory Board.
1. Find out which board is right for you.
2. Review the Citizen Advisory Board Code of Ethics.
Land Use Review Board (LURB)
LURB serves as the Town's Planning Board per North Carolina General Statute 160A-361. Additional roles and responsibilities for this Board are as follows:
- Serve as the Community Appearance Commission.
- Serve as the Tree Board.
- A portion of the LURB membership serves as the Board of Adjustment for variance requests and appeals/interpretations deteminations.
Old Town Advisory Board (OTAB)
OTAB was established as an advisory board to the Town Council in 2007 following the completion of the Old Town Knightdale Small Area Plan. The purpose of the Board is to keep the Town Council abreast of issues in Knightdale's historic core. Membership consists of residents or property owners within the Plan’s study area or the neighboring Wil-Ros and Knightdale Station subdivisions. The roles and responsibilities for this Committee are as follows:
- To initiate, promote and assist in the implementation of programs for public improvements in the Old Town area;
- To initiate, promote and assist in the implementation of community involvement activities, financial incentives and technical assistance programs that would benefit residents, entrepreneurs and property owners in the Old Town area;
- To direct the attention of appropriate Town officials to needed enforcement of any ordinance in the Old Town area; and
- To interface with Town staff to discuss hearings and cases affecting the Old Town area and to formulate advisory statements for conveyance by the OTAB chair of other designated OTAB member to the Town Council as appropriate.
Parks and Recreation Advisory Board (PRAB)
PRAB serves in an advisory capacity to the Town Council on issues relating to the planning and coordination of recreational and cultural programs, parks, special events, and other leisure activities for the citizens of Knightdale. The roles and responsibilities for this Board are as follows:
- Provide recommendations on the development, planning, maintenance, and operation of existing and future public parks, playgrounds, athletic fields, recreation centers, greenways, and other recreation facilities that are owned, operated or planned by the Town of Knightdale;
- Recommend priorities for the programs and facilities in order to assist the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs Director in preparing and submitting an annual operating and capital budget to the Town Manager;
- Investigate and determine the needs and interests of the community for recreational and cultural programs and facilities and make recommendations to meet those needs;
- Promote a policy of recreational and cultural programs consistent with community needs and the Town of Knightdale's budget;
- Promote a policy of providing recreational and cultural programs for all stakeholders regardless of age, gender, or physical ability to the extent it is practical;
- Serve as volunteers for all Knightdale special events.
- Recommend programming policies to the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Programs Director, Town Manager, and Town
Public Safety Advisory Board (PSAB)
PSAB serves in an advisory capacity to the Town Council on issues relating to the welfare and protection of the general public and property in Knightdale. This Board is established to augment the Town’s prevention and protection efforts of the public from dangers affecting safety, such as crimes or disasters. The roles and responsibilities for this Board are as follows:
- Recommend public safety policies for Knightdale in the areas of Police, Fire, and Emergency Management Services;
- Provide recommendations on the development, planning, maintenance, and operation of existing and future public safety facilities that are owned, operated or planned by the Town of Knightdale;
- Promote educational, outreach activities to increase public safety awareness;
- Encourage intergovernmental relations in Wake County in an effort to increase public safety effectiveness;
- Provide insight on policies and practices that aim to promote the Knightdale Police and Fire Departments’ missions to create lasting community partnerships.
- Offer recommendations to the Police Chief, Fire Chief, and Town Manager with regard to services and practices that impact the community
- Serve as liaisons to enhance community and police relations
- Assist with the review of the Police Department’s Citizen Police Academy curriculum
- Review and provide feedback on quarterly and annual professional standards reports.
The Town of Knightdale has two standing committees. These committees are comprised of various, internal stakeholders to assist the Town Council through significant discussion and evaluation of various complex issues facing Knightdale.
This committee was established to assist the Town Council and Town Manager in meeting the various fiscal responsibilities of a municipal government in North Carolina. Their specific roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Reviews the Town’s monthly financial reports
- Monitors the Town’s budgetary performance.
- Review the Town’s capital needs and program funding solutions.
- Review the Town’s annual, departmental budgetary requests.
- Prepare the Town’s annual fee schedule for Town Council consideration.
- Assist the Town Manager in ensuring the Town’s fiscal health.
Planning & Engineering Committee
This committee was established to proactively address the various planning and engineering needs facing the Town. Their specific roles and responsibilities are as follows:
- Monitor the impacts of growth on Knightdale infrastructure and facilities.
- Recommend infrastructure and facility improvement for Knightdale.
- Track and review legislative changes that impact Knightdale.
- Make applicable amendments to Knightdale regulations.