Zoning Compliance Permits


For all business owners who wish to lease a space in an already developed building, there are several steps that need to occur before you open your doors for business. 

  • Determine if your business is allowed in your desired location.  Excellent resources to begin your research are Wake County iMAPs  and the Town of Knightdale Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).  To determine if your business would be permitted at the desired location, use iMAPs to determine the zoning of the property and then cross reference the zoning with the UDO's Use Matrix in Section 3.1(C).
  • Once you have determined that the use is permitted, submit a Zoning Compliance Permit application to the Town of Knightdale Development Services Department for review and approval.
  • Depending on the use, modifications to the tenant space may be required and you would need to apply for a building permit.  If you desire to make changes to the exterior of the site, contact the Development Services Department to discuss those modifications and determine what approval process is required.
  • If your business would like either an exterior wall sign or a monument sign, please visit the Sign Permit page for additional information on the permitting process and applicable ordinances.

**Please note that this process is different for a business that desires to construct a new building. Please reach out to Senior Planner Current  at 919-217-2243 for additional information.


If a home occupation is the best option for you at this time, it is necessary to determine whether or not your particular use is permitted as a home occupation. Prior to operating a small, accessory business from your home, please contact the Town of Knightdale Development Services Department to determine if a home occupation is permissible.

  • If permitted, your home occupation will be subject to Unified Development Ordinance Additional Standards.
  • Check with the property owner, property manager or Homeowners' Association (HOA) to determine if they will allow you to operate a home occupation from your residence.
  • Check to see if your proposed home occupation is regulated by other local, state or federal agencies as necessary, in addition to the Town of Knightdale.
  • All home occupations are required to submit a Zoning Compliance Permit application and demonstrate how the use complies with the additional standards.


Apply for a Zoning Compliance Permit through the Town's online portal: